About Direct Investments
Direct Investments lets you choose how your money is invested. You can buy and sell investments, track your performance and access comprehensive market research.
About Direct Investments
Direct Investments offers members more control and choice over how their super is invested. This option suits members who want to be actively involved in managing their super or those who might be seeking a low-cost SMSF-style alternative.
Members have the flexibility to invest in
- Shares that are included in the S&P/ASX300 Index;
- Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs);
- Listed Investment Companies (LICs); and
- Term Deposits.
For a full list of available Investments, please refer to the Approved Investment Menu.
As a legalsuper member, establishing and managing your DIO is straightforward:
- Login to MemberAccess
- Click on the 'Investments' tab
- Sign up as a Free Access or Full Access user
- Once you've signed up & created a Direct Investments account, you can explore the platform, and if you are a Full Access user - transfer funds to start trading.
Features of legalsuper's Direct Investment platform include the following:
- Available to Employer - sponsored & Personal super members;
- Explore the platform and obtain research information at no cost as a Free Access User
- available to legalsuper retirement pension members (unavailable to Transition to Retirement & GIA members.);
- extensive range of permitted investments;
- extensive reporting and investment tools;
- attractive fee and brokerage structure; and
- super members commencing a legalsuper pension may be able to transfer an existing DIO account from super to pension without having to first sell their investments
|Free access||Full access|
|Access to||UBS research|
Morningstar Market data
Morningstar Market data
Real time trading:
Shares, ETF's and LICs
|Cost||Free||See all costs|
If you choose the 'Full Access' option, you will be asked to transfer cash from your other legalsuper investment option(s) to your Direct Investments Cash Account. Transfers made before 4pm (AEST) will take effect two national business days after the receipt of your request. Requests to Transfer made after 4pm will not be actioned until the following national business day.
- You will not be able to transact until your transferred funds have been credited to your Direct Investment Cash Account;
- once funds have been received, you can commence purchasing shares, ETF's, LICs and/or Term Deposits'
- You must retain at least $250 in your Cash Account at all times.
Is the DIO right for me?
The legalsuper DIO is aimed at members who want more control over their investments and actively manage them. Because the Trustee does not review trades nor will it arrange for the purchase, sale, redemption or reinvestment, members need to commit the time required to manage their chosen investments.
DIO investors also need to have knowledge of the investments they are interested in, how these investments work and matters such as the tax treatment that will apply.
How much does it cost?
If you choose to establish an account as a Full Access User, you will be charged additional fees, on top of the normal fees and costs of your legalsuper account. The fees include a DIO Account fee of $20 per month ($240 per year), 0.29% of your account balance and 0.40% of your Cash Account balance. For more information, and a full list of fees for a Direct Investment account, please refer to the the Fees and Costs page.
How the DIO works
The Direct Investment option platform is provided by UBS and overseen by legalsuper.
UBS and legalsuper partner with legalsuper's custodian, BNP and legalsuper's administrator, Link Group to provide this option to members.
For more information regarding the role of UBS, please refer to our Product Disclosure Statement.
Find out more
You should read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement and Additional Information documents for details of how the DIO works. This contains information on maximums that apply and the fees and costs payable.
The Approved Investment Menu details the investments that you can select from, maximums and minimums that apply:Direct Investment menu (259.44 KB)
Historical rates of return
For comparison purposes we have included the compound effective rates of returns for individual investments available via the DIO for 1, 5 and 10 year periods, and the annualised return since listing.
Before you invest in legalsuper’s Direct Investment option, you may want to learn more about share market investing. The Australian Stock Exchange website has a range of educational material and general information that may assist you. Visit the ASX website for more information.
In addition, the Federal Government’s Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) website, called MoneySmart, has a range of useful educational material and general information. Visit the MoneySmart website
Here to help
As a member of legalsuper you are entitled to one-on-one support and practical advice from our team of Client Service Managers located around Australia. Call us on 1800 060 312 to arrange an appointment.